Thursday, March 09, 2006

Growing up

Last night, Reece had another hard time giving up the sleep, so he came and sprawled out across my lap. As he slowly drifted off to sleep, I could not help but remember...what I did growing up. I have so many dreams for him. Some selfish, others not. I want him to succed so much more than I at every stage in life. Very seldom lately have I had the chance to just look at my kids. I mean really look at them. Noticing their eyes, lips, noses, cheek structure, mannerisms, smile, etc. I saw so much in Reece last night in only 10 minutes that I smiled through the glassy tears that seemed to swell up in the corner of my eyes. No one would know my thinking, no one to wisk me away to some meeting at work, or a hurried trip somewhere unimportant. I remembered the words of an old song by Paul Smith, titled, Unimportant Things, the song states, "it's so easy to look past important things...." and it is true, in the crazyness of life which always gets in the way, it does become easy to look past the things in life that are important.
"Lord teach us to focus, on what life really means, and teach us to look past unimportant things".

No comments: